Our community hall, the Mount Stuart Memorial Hall, was built with voluntary labour by the people of Mount Stuart, funded by a combination of donations, loans and grants from government and local council. The hall was built on land owned by the Hobart City Council, who still own the hall and lease it to the people of Mount Stuart at a peppercorn rent.
The Mount Stuart Progress Association commenced building the hall in 1950. The cost was estimated to be $7000, of which the State Government contributed $3000, the community raised $2000 and the other $2000 was raised by way of a loan to be repaid by the Progress Association.
Initially, the building comprised the main hall (dance floor) and the supper room only, with the appropriately named annexe being added in 1956. It is built on land leased from the Council, which means that in effect the Council owns the building.
In 1992, a decision was made to separate the lobbying and community hall operations of the Mount Stuart Progress Association, to take advantage of tax concessions available for community halls with the lease of the Hall being assigned to the newly established Mount Stuart Community Service Association Inc.